100 YEARS AGO, 1918
♦ Three firms occupying the old Halter Building on the corner of Oak and Front streets were moving their stocks and fixtures to new stands until the new building, to be erected by F.U. Halter, was completed. Greeson Drug Co. and V.G. Craig were moving into the Martin and Scroggin Building adjoining the Faulkner County Bank, while the Racket Store was moving into the Donaghey Building on the west side of the railroad, next door to the millinery store of Mrs. Nettie F. Hoss. Work on the new building was started at once.
75 YEARS AGO, 1943
♦ Brig. Gen. Henry G. Lewis would be the speaker at the graduation of 249 WAACs, the first class to graduate from the WAAC Branch #3 at ASTC.
♦ Lee Mode & Son announced a third auction to be held at their barn, 1103 Front Street. Two hundred and fifty head of white-faced heifers and bulls two years old would be put up for sale. Col. Roy R. Chaney would be the auctioneer.
♦ Inter City Transit officials said 375 passengers rode the bus on opening day. Several runs at night had passengers standing in the aisles.
50 YEARS AGO, 1968
♦ McNutt Funeral Home and Doolin Funeral Home jointly announced that they would discontinue ambulance service effective July 1. Pence Funeral Home discontinued ambulance service several months ago. J&J Ambulance Service of Batesville would provide professional ambulance service in Conway.
♦ Millar Hall, located a block west of Hendrix, was serving its last year as a dormitory. It would either be sold or torn down. It was erected in the early 1920s to house the former Hendrix Academy.
♦ Curtis Flower Shop, located 18 years at 1204 Oak Street, moved to the Bahner Building at Front and Oak streets where Hager Jewelry Store formerly was located. Mr. and Mrs. W.E. Curtis purchased the flower shop from Mrs. Robert A. McNutt and the late Mr. McNutt in 1960. Mrs. Carl Karber had been with the firm for four years.
25 YEARS AGO, 1993
♦ Bob Meriwether retired after being a Hendrix professor of history and political science for 34 years.
♦ The Faulkner County Fiddle Band was pictured playing following the 120th anniversary celebration for Faulkner County: Neal Buffaloe, Faril Simpson, Ferris Baker, Bill Whitenack and Ralva Bass. Rick Willbanks, president of the Faulkner County Historical Society, presented two historical society publications to Faulkner County Judge John Wayne Carter for the county’s use.
♦ A new I-40 bridge was being constructed over the Cadron Creek on the Faulkner-Conway county line.
♦ The Sears store in Conway was to become a retail outlet after Sears announced plans to close 2,000 catalog stores and discontinue its catalog. Carroll DuVall was owner of the store in the Conway Towne Centre.
10 YEARS AGO, 2008
♦ Jack Bell resigned his position from the Conway City Council to fill the position of Mayor Tab Townsell’s assistant.
♦ The Greenbrier Board of Education unanimously approved the hiring of Scott Spainhour as superintendent of schools.
♦ Corey Oliver, a teacher at Bob Courtway Middle School, was pictured receiving $25,000 from Milken Family Foundation chairman Lowell Milken at the 2008 Milken Family Foundation National Education Conference in Los Angeles.