Through the Cabin Window – July, 2017

100 YEARS AGO, July, 1917

♦  The committee for distributing the khaki bound testaments to the Faulkner County boys going to war had great difficulty in locating all the boys. They asked that all names and addresses of boys going into service be given to a member of the committee. The committee members included Mrs. O.O. Florence and Mrs. J.W. Conger from the Baptist Church; Mrs. J.W. Boyer and Mrs. Howard Terry from the Presbyterian Church; and Mrs. G.A. Simmons and Mrs. D.M. Livesay from the Methodist Church.

75 YEARS AGO, July, 1942

♦  Windshield stickers would replace metal license tags on Arkansas passenger cars in 1943. The change was due to a metal shortage.

♦  George F. Hartje, Conway attorney, went to Little Rock to spend several days in the interest of R.W. Robins’ candidacy for associate justice of the supreme court. He would not set up a state headquarters but had been touring the state.

♦  Dr. Robert L. Taylor, a leading physician for the past seven and one-half years, was officially informed that he had been commissioned a first lieutenant in the U.S. Army medical corps and would report to Camp Barkeley, Abilene, Texas.

50 YEARS AGO, July, 1975

♦  Bids were opened for the largest construction project in the history of Conway Public Schools. A new academic wing, containing 50,000 square feet, was planned as the first phase of construction at the new high school site, located on Highway 60 west.

♦  Faulkner County 4-H members attending Arkansas 4-H Activity Day at Little Rock University were Kenny Dunk, Jody Tilley, Vicki Pelletier, Pam Halsey, Deb Doggett, Liz Martin, Jerel Jones, Brenda Tilley, Curtis Acre and Eddie Glover. Jones, Tillery and Acre won gold Bulova watches.

♦  Donald W. Adlong was appointed as an assistant professor of mathematics at State College of Arkansas.

25 YEARS AGO, July, 1992

♦  Lloyd Westbrook assumed the duties of Conway Area Chamber of Commerce executive vice-president after Guy Murphy retired.

♦  Elizabeth Voegele returned from a year in Japan. She stayed with a Japanese family and attended Nanzon University in Nagoya.

♦  The Faulkner County Quorum Court heard a request to locate a museum in the building that housed the Faulkner County Library. The Faulkner County Historical Society proposed that the county make the building, adjacent to the Courthouse, a museum. A resolution gave the county judge power to appoint a seven-member museum commission.

210 YEARS AGO, July, 2007

♦  Steve Rose, chief financial officer for Conway Regional Medical Center presented Mary Ann Steifvater an engraved brick that would be placed in the walkway to the Women’s Center in her honor. She celebrated 50 years of service with the hospital during her retirement party. She helped start and maintain the Medical Information Department.

♦  UCA Police Department’s new patrolman, Kevin Ford, was sworn in at the Faulkner County Courthouse by Circuit Judge David Clark.

♦  Nashville recording artists and native Conway family, the Dooleys, performed a free album debut concert at Family Life Bible Church.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.